Sunday, September 20, 2020

Around the Block US Tour- Minnesota!!!!

 


Today is the next installment of the Around the Block US Tour! It's my day! It's all about Minnesota! I've haven't always lived in Minnesota, growing up my family moved here from New York. We lived in Texas and North Dakota before that. We moved to Minnesota when I was a Sophomore in High School. Not the easiest time for a teenager to move and make new friends, but then there is Minnesota nice. I did make some lifelong friends that I met that first week I spent in Minnesota. (My hubby and sister and law are included in this list along with my bestie, Lynn)  I didn't always see Minnesota as home sweet home but I have grown to love it here. I'm in good company, Prince, Bob Dylan, and Garrison Keillor called Minnesota, home. Minnesota is also the home state of Paul Bunyan and his Blue Ox.. Judy Garland was from Minnesota too. 'There's no place like home.... there's no place like home..." Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes, the Great Minnesota Get-together, Jolly Green Giant, Pillsbury Doughboy and Hormel's Spam. I had never heard of Spam until we moved here. I can say I'm not a fan of Spam. There's even a Spam museum. , I think it would be fun to go to. I only live about an hour away from it. I love spending time up north at the lake. My boys love to fish, year round. I'm more of a sit in the boat and read type of girl. My favorite thing to do on vacation is to grab an adult beverage and my floatie and hang out bobbing in the lake. 

So here's my block for the US Tour. I've appliqued mine but it could also be embroidered. 
On this block I stitched using my machine's buttonhole stitch. Place the star where you live, a loved one lives or where the state capital is. It's totally up to you! For the background fabric I am using my Woodland Getaway fabric from Marcus Fabrics.

On this block I did a straight stitch an 1/8" from the edge of the design. This turns out super cute too!

I've also made a couple of bonus items using the Minnesota Home Sweet Home block. I also have included a larger version of the design for bigger projects such as a tea towel or notion bag.

To make a notion bag, I used a tutorial that I found online for a simple zipper bag. I used 10" fabric squares for the backing and lining. For the front of the bag I made a simple block and positioned my Minnesota Block design on it. I'm using my bag for my sewing notions, but this would be a fun bag to give as a gift, it can also be used for cosmetics.

Another fun idea for the 6 1/2" blocks is to make mini mug rugs or coasters. To make a mini mug rug, layer your state block with a 6 1/2" square backing, right sides together, and a square of thin batting. Sew around the edges with a 1/4" seam leaving a 2" gap. Turn your mug rug right side out and voila! An adorable mini state mug rug.

Another fun project is to use the larger pattern layout of the Minnesota Home Sweet Home Block on a tea towel. I positioned the state design so that it features part of my Woodland Getaway design on the state. I just love how it turned out! Kits are available for the tea towel project can be found on my website. The fabric yardage for Woodland Getaway is also available along with a limited number of block kits. The buffalo plaid tea towels can also be found on my website too. 

Remember to join us each week (Sunday), you will find the link HERE to visit the current weeks designer so you can get the block. I hope that you have fun with these blocks and enjoy traveling along across the US! My free pattern for Minnesota can be found on my WEBSITE under the BOM tab on the website. I have also packaged kits for this block and to make the tea towel. There are also block kits available too! Both kits have my featured Woodland Getaway fabric from Marcus Fabrics. The design for this fabric was inspired by all of our family trips to Northern Minnesota.

Met my hubby here, have raised my family here. It's home.... can't imagine living anywhere else. I hope that you enjoy learning a little bit about my Home Sweet Home.

Happy quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

Participating Designers
  • Dragonfly's Quilting Design Studio
  • Appliques Quilts and more
  • KISSed Quilts
  • Carolina Moore
  • Off The Wall Quilt
  • Sarah Ruiz Quilts
  • Quilt Doodle Designs
  • PhoebeMoon Designs
  • Orange Blossom Quilt Design Studio LLC
  • Tamarinis
  • Faith and Fabric
  • Louanna Mary Quilt Design
  • Slice of Pi Quilts
  • Prairie Point Junction
  • Tuning My Heart Quilts, LLC
  • Your Sewing Friend
  • Traditional Primitives
  • Inquiring Quilter
  • A Stitch in Time
  • On Williams Street
  • TextileTimeTravels
  • Stitch Adventure
  • Usquepaugh Baking Company
  • The Quilting Room with Mel
  • Orchid Owl Quilts
  • Lizard Creek Quilting
  • Seams To Be Sew
  • Seams Like a Dream Quilts
  • Pretty Piney Quilts
  • QuiltFabrication
  • One Quilting Circle
  • Flying Parrot Quilts
  • Stitched in Purple
  • The Quilted Diary
  • Katie Mae Quilts
  • Wendt Quilting
  • Calico Patch Designs
  • Ladybug's Cabin
  • 2 comments:

    1. Thank you! I love the block! Thank you for sharing your creativity...much appreciated!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you! The background is so interesting and perfect for the block.

      ReplyDelete