Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Scrappy Hats QAL Day 16

Welcome to Day 16

We are coming close to the end of our QAL and today's section will take a little time, a few hours, maybe less. Today I will show you how I completed the flying geese border. I really think it sets the quilt off nicely and is a fun way to finish it off. I love flying geese! I used 4 colors for my flying geese border. If you want to make it scrappier that's up to you. If you do you will need to make a total of 116 flying geese rectangles. The method that I use to make flying geese in the pattern make 4 flying geese rectangles at a time. It sounds like a daunting task but they really do go together quickly with this method! I like to use the no waste flying geese method. So grab a snack and let's get going on making some flying geese!


Following the pattern directions I cut out my squares for my no waste flying geese. I'm making two color combos for my border. the pink and blue and then the red and green. For each set of not waste flying geese rectangles/blocks you will need 1 larger square and then 4 smaller squares. Keep this in mind if you are making your border scrappier.

To begin with draw a line from corner to corner diagonally on the smaller fabric squares as shown.

With right sides together, lay two of the smaller squares on the larger square as shown.

Sew a scant 1/4" seam on each side of the line.

Cut apart on the drawn line. Press the seams outward.

Add a small square, right sides together on the sewn unit. Sew a scant 1/4" seam on both sides of the line.

I like to chain sew....

Cut apart on the drawn line. Press the flying geese units open. Square up to measure 2 1/2" x 4 1/2". Make 60 using each color combo for a total of 120 flying geese rectangles. (This will be more then you need, you will have 4 extra.)

Following the pattern sew together the flying geese blocks for the border.

I'm just in love with how festive this looks! I'm all ready to assemble my quilt.




I'll post one more time to show you the finished quilt. Feel free to assemble your quilt at this point and get it quilted. It'll be ready for this winter and perfect for a special gift. Stop back again in a week to see my finished Scrappy Hats quilt. Remember, November 1st is the next installment of the Garden Sunshine quilt. Hope that you are able to join me.Remember to share your block on Instagram #scrappyhatsqal @quiltdoodledesigns

Happy Quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

You can also click on this link to purchase the instant PDF Download of the Scrappy Hats Pattern.
 

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed the part about the border being Flying Geese before. LOL I love them, and I don't think it matters how they are made, they look great! This was a really cute quilt for a QAL.

    ReplyDelete