Monday, October 28, 2019

Scrappy Hats QAL Day 14

Welcome to Day 14

Whew, it's already day 14! Today we will complete the last snowman block. It's gone so fast! I hope that you have been having fun creating the scrappy hats for your snowman blocks! I've enjoyed seeing your blocks so far on facebook and Instagram.  Today's block will be the most challenging because the pieces are small but it is well worth the effort! Today we will make a star brimmed hat! It's one of my favorites in this quilt. Since this is the last hat, you can have fun and make it as scrappy as you want. I made each star out of the same fabric but you can add extra scrappiness by cutting the center block out of a different color/fabric. In the pattern I've written it for this option. So let's make some stars!

Following the directions for Hat Brim #13 cut out the pieces that you need to complete this block. I am making a red, green and pink star. I have chosen to make the stars all the same color instead of cutting the center square out of a different fabric.

To make the star I begin by make 4 flying geese blocks using rectangle B and square A. Place the square on top of the rectangle, right sides together and sew corner to corner. Trim away the excess fabric leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press. I like to chain sew.....

Repeat on the opposite side of the rectangle, placing the square on the rectangle, right sides together and sew corner to corner. Trim the excess fabric leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press. Make a total of 4 flying geese blocks for each star block.

Following the block chart in the pattern, sew the block together and press. 

Here are my three adorable star blocks for my hat brim. Sew the blocks together end to end. Press. Finish strips measures 3 1/2" x 9 1/2"

Sew the hat block to the top of the hat brim strip and then sew the snowman face onto the bottom of the hat brim strip. Press. The finished block measures 9 1/2" x 11 1/2"

~ Star Snowman Block ~

Remember the carrot and eyes are not added to the block yet!



Isn't it fun making snowman blocks! I just love them! If you feel extra ambitious, you can make extra ones for an adorable table runner to match your quilt! See you tomorrow, we will work on the carrot noses and I will talk with you about a couple of different ways that you can make them. Remember to share your block on Instagram #scrappyhatsqal @quiltdoodledesigns

Happy Quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere

You can also click on this link to purchase the instant PDF Download of the Scrappy Hats Pattern.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment