Thursday, July 25, 2019

Peppermint Snowman


July is almost gone and I have been thinking about 'Christmas in July' because I know that many of you are getting a jump on your holiday stitching. I thought I would revisit one of my favorite Santa designs. This applique design is now available in my Etsy shop as an instant PDF download. Let me show you my sweet block, Peppermint Santa... I love Christmas and the whole holiday season so I drew up this whimsical Santa. I also enjoy embellishing designs with buttons and yo-yo's so I just had to include my favorite finishing touches on this block too. 

Peppermint Santa
Let me show you how I used the block for a couple of delightful Christmas gift ideas.

I started out by tracing and cutting out four sets of the design pieces of the Peppermint Santa.
This is enough for my two projects.

 
To make a jolly table runner, I ironed on three sets of 'santas' on a 10 1/2" x 30 1/2"
cream rectangle fabric background...

For a cute wall hanging or mini quilt, I ironed one Santa onto a 12 1/2" green block.
Then I machined appliqued around all of the pieces using a buttonhole stitch.

To add some extra cuteness, I machine embroidered
'Ho Ho Ho' using a curly font. (Totally optional)

Then I added borders onto each background piece. To finish up your Peppermint Santa projects, layer backing, batting and the 'top' and quilt as desired. 


I used a red and white stripe fabric for the binding on my table runner. Oh it's sooooo cute!
The striped fabric also made adorable yo-yos that look like peppermint candy! The Santas are embellished with red yo-yo noses. Buttons are used for the holly berries. 

Have fun with this block, use traditional colors (red and green) or mix it up and use you imagination! A green and white striped hat would be cute. How about turquoise and red, hot pink and white... the possibilities are endless...
Check out the Quilt Doodle Designs Etsy shop for the PDF pattern.

Have a great day!
Happy Quilting!
Cindy and Belvedere


3 comments:

  1. Love this, and the runner idea is so cute, especially. The Ho Ho Ho cold also be done by hand in a relatively short time! That stripe is a perfect binding.

    ReplyDelete