Monday, July 29, 2019

Blueberry Pie


When I was a teenager, I spent a summer making pies with my grandma. I had just learned how to make crust from scratch and I was pretty proud of myself with my new skill. I remember making banana cream, apple and chocolate cream pie that summer. Grandma always had dessert to go with our meals. She was a seasoned farmhouse cook and all of her recipes were second nature to her, a bit of this and a dash of that. Everything always was delicious! I'm more of a follow a recipe and measure girl. I rarely venture out and just throw something together. Nothing smells better then freshly baked pie just out of the oven. Grandma's house always smelled of fresh baked bread and sweet treats like pie. This design is inspired by the blueberry pie I dream of making, it's sweet with the perfectly browned lattice crust. Oh.... and the crust is flakey and there is no soggy bottom! The perfect summertime dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Oh yum...… my applique design is also calorie free. It's a pie I would be proud to show grandma!
I used a blueberry colored fabric for the filling. A blueberry print fabric would be perfect for this design. The lattice pieces are actually woven before being ironed in place, like you would if you were making an actual pie. 

I used a 35wt. variegated thread from Valdani to machine applique with. To make the blueberries I made tiny yo-yo's. 1/4"to 1/2" blue buttons would also work to make the embellished blueberries.

Want cherry pie? Just use a red fabric for the filling and use red yo-yo's or buttons for the cherries. Just think how cute that would be. You could make one of each for a sweet towel set for your kitchen or to give as a shower gift! This pattern can be found in my Etsy Shop and also my Website either as a packaged pattern or as PDF instant download.

I always think of summers on the farm this time of year and all the pies grandma and I made that summer. I think about my dad, uncle and grandpa working in the fields harvesting wheat on those hot, windy North Dakota summer days. Sweet memories....


Happy quilting,
Cindy and Belvedere

No comments:

Post a Comment