Sunday, May 15, 2011

April 15, 1863

Where have I been you may have been wondering.  I've been busy with my son's Confirmation, Mothers' Day, working at the library, and working at the greenhouse.  The whole time I have been longing for time to sew and work on my quilt projects.  So here I am finally ready to present to you the next block in Rosemary's book.  The block is called 'Death Penalty' and looks like a complicated block but it is easily pieced when paper pieced.  The block as 48 pieces to it.... don't let that scare you!  It's completed with 4 paper pieced sections... so let's get started on the first block for the third row.

I have chosen colors that are very similar to what is presented in the Civil War Diary Quilt Book.  I've printed up my paper piecing pattern using the companion CD.  The block can also be hand drafted if you do not have the CD and EQ5.  Remember to add 1/4" seam allowances around the sections.

I write the fabric colors in each section referring to the book.  This helps me so that I don't make mistakes while sewing.

I like to cut my fabric into strips so that it's easier to work with while I paper piece each section.

Here I am sewing on the lines....

One section done... three more to go....

Three sections done... arggggg I don't have time to finish the block... gotta run and work at the greenhouse.  It's cold and rainy outside and not a pleasant day to be working outside.  I hope to finish the block when I get back home.

'Death Penalty' all finished...

Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr


Next Saturday, May 21, I will be working on the next block from the Civil War Dairy Quilt Book by Rosemary Youngs.  Maybe it will feel more like May next week.  I'm tired of the cold and rain and bringing my flowerpots in the house every night. 
Hope that you're able to join me in my journey. Feel free to email me any time if you have questions or comments.
Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!

The Civil War Diary Quilt Book can be bought through paypal or through the mail from Rosemary Youngs...

The Civil War Diary Quilt book is available for $22.99 plus $4.95 priority mail, (global priority mail $11.95) . You can order the CD with the book, you will need Electric Quilt 5 or 6 to run the CD, the CD alone is $10 and there is no extra charge for postage when you order the book with the CD, total cost for the CD with the book will be $32.99 plus your postage.

Send a check or money order to Rosemary Youngs, 3704 Nicole Ct., Walker, MI 49534

No comments:

Post a Comment