Monday, August 7, 2023

Easy Four Patch

 


I was playing around with my Strip iIt fabric the other day and found you could use it to jumpstart a disappearing four patch block. Out of each 5 1/2” x WOF you can get one block and leftover scraps for some snowball blocks. But if you cut 5” x WOF you can easily get two blocks. Let me explain… I played around and originally cut 5 1/2” widths for my sample and it wasn’t until I competed my block that I can get two blocks if I cut 5” widths. This would be playing with the eight fabrics in the strip it to get fun scrappy block.



If you want a traditional disappearing four patch you can cut 5” squares from each of the fabrics in the strip it and construct squares that way. But if you want to save a couple of seams,  you can cut a 5” strip by the width of the fabric.

Then fussy cut  two 9 1/2” strip centering each strip at the 4 3/4” mark on the center line between the two colors. I like to use a light and dark section on the strip and rotate the light and dark on each strip as pictured. Then matching the center seam sew a 1/4” seam, press. 
Measuring from the center seams cut 1 1/2” from the seam in all directions. A rotating mat is super helpful so that the block doesn’t shift while cutting.


Have fun and rotate the pieces around to make a scrappy disappearing four patch block.



Ta-da a perfectly matching scrappy block! Quick and easy, fun to stitch. Piece several for a cut table topper or make a bunch for a lap sized quilt! 


Happy quilting,

Cindy and Josephine

8 comments: