Thursday, December 7, 2023

Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange

 

Every year we have what we call 'Cookie Day', we spend the Saturday after Thanksgiving gathering at my mom's house and baking cookies. It's a tradition that we started years ago! My boys were little! I always looked forward to baking that day with my sisters and nieces. I always make the same things, caramel, dipped pretzels and peanut butter yo-yos. This year I bought some special frosting Santas and penguins to decorate my peanut butter yo-yos with. I also got some cute snowman carrot noses to make snowmen! I also purchased some cute boxes and bags to package things in. Most everything I make is an almond bark dipped item so that my nieces and sisters can use the oven. Mom's oven sure gets a workout that day! It's always a fun filled day full of visiting and baking. 

I make six batches of caramel and I'm also so appreciative when I have help wrapping it all!


Microwave Caramels
1/4 Cup Butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo Syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk.
Combine all ingredients. Cook 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes. Stir and pour into lightly greased dish. (I butter a glass pan.) Let cool. Cut, wrap in wax paper and store in airtight container. My mom's microwave takes 10 minutes. I check the caramel using my grandma's method. Dropping a little of the mixture into a glass of cold water, if the caramel can be formed into a soft ball, then it's done. 


DECEMBER 4

Just Let Me Quilt

Inflorescence

Songbird Designs

Words & Stitches

DesertSky Quilting

Quilting Gail

Days Filled With Joy

For The Love Of Geese

 

DECEMBER 5

Selina Quilts

Just Because Quilts

Karrin's Crazy World

Quilt Schmilt

Domestic Felicity

Happy Cottage Quilter

Nettie Sews and Lucky Quilts

 

DECEMBER 6

Hill Valley Quilter

Beaquilter

Crazy'boutquilts

Bumbleberry Stitches

That Fabric Feeling

Homespun Hannah's Blog

 

DECEMBER 7

MooseStashQuilting

Ms P Designs USA

Quilt Doodle Designs

Quilted Snail

Sew Many Yarns

Just Sew Quilter

The Life of Grammy





I have a notebook that I have been keeping recipes and photos in over the years. I love flipping thru it and remembering all of our cookie days and how our kids have grown up. They are now starting to have families of their own. I hope that this becomes a tradition that is passed down to their families too. I know that the recipes will!


Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope that you find time to listen to some holiday music and do some baking for the loved ones in your family. The complete list for the hop is above... stop on by and show some holiday love!


Happy Baking,

Cindy and Josephine


Peanut butter yo-yo cookies

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I used to make caramels all the time, but never in the microwave. That would have been so much easier. You are right, you need all the help you can get to wrap them all. LOL!! What a great way to keep those memories alive, by adding photos to your recipe book. Love the Peanut Butter yo-yo cookies. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your caramel recipe looks easy. I have never made them myself, but one of my friends has made 14 batches already this year!! Love the photos of family baking days--great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The caramel sounds delicious! I love the colorful papers. Wonderful memories. Thans for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookie day sounds just wonderful! I love that you keep a notebook full of pictures that you can look at and reminisce. Such sweet memories! I've never made candy, but your caramel recipe looks so good - I might have to try that one. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The caramel sounds wonderful. That is one thing I didn't make this year. I just finished my cookies. Love the family memories of cookie day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cookie notebook is a wonderful idea! I wish I'd had that when the kids were younger and the grandkids lived here. We had so much fun on our cookie days. Yummy looking caramels and those peanut butter snowmen look delicious. Thank you for sharing your Christmas sweets with us, Cindy, and for being a part of this hop! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the caramel recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had home made caramel!!! It sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely tradition, and your scrapbook of holidays past is just precious! Can't wait to make these caramels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those peanut butter oreos are simply wonderful. The decorating is perfect. I have a recipe that calls for carmels and I bet it would be even more yummy is I used your homemade carmel recipe. Love the idea of having a scrapbook though the years; how things change and stay the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun tradition!! I love that you've taken photos over the years. I have always wanted to make caramels and now you've shared the recipe...ooh, this could be so great!! I really adore the peanut butter cookies but sadly I'm allergic. They actually look like dipped oreos to me, so that's an idea to decorate the dipped cookies instead. Love the magic you all create together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the notebook idea. Oh, my goodness, I haven't tested anything to the soft ball stage in decades! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those caramels look delicious! I've never tried anything like that, so I must give it a go! Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love caramel and peanut butter, they all look so good. Thanks for your comment on my project too.

    ReplyDelete