Saturday, May 28, 2022

Spring Sampler ~ Applique!

 

Welcome back! I have been busy planting my flowerpots and decorating the yard with a little garden whimsy with my garden flags and birdhouses. I'm so thrilled to have my outdoor sitting area all decorated, it's so cozy. I brought out some of my planters that I have been wintering over and returned them back outside. I look forward to sitting and relaxing with some handwork and a tall glass of diet coke. This quilt is the perfect lap size too for chilly spring days! This week we will work on the applique corner on the Spring Season Sampler quilt.

Corner Flower Applique: Following the instructions provided by the fusible web manufacturer, trace 1 sets of the flower design onto the paper side of the fusible web. Iron flower onto the back side of the pink fabric. Iron the flower center onto the wrong side of the yellow fabric.  Iron the stem onto lt green and the leaves onto green fabric. Cut the pieces out. Follow the quilt layout for placement. Iron in place. Using a blanket, zig zag or satin stitch on your sewing machine; sew along the edges of all the pieces. Practice on some scrap material if you are new to machine applique.

                Stem - light green

                Leaves - green

                Flower - pink

                Flower center - yellow


Some hints on doing machine applique... 


I like to Flexifuse. It pliable and not stiff when your applique is done. It doesn't gum my machine up either. I suggest you use whatever fusible product works best for you and your machine.

I like to use a buttonhole/blanket stitch for raw edge fusible applique, but you can also use a zigzag or satin stitch. I use a small stitch. Practice on some scrap fabric with stitch sizes to see what you like best.

If you want, use a lightweight iron on stabilizer on the back of your fabric. The stabilizer will keep the fabric lying flat and even while you sew and will prevent puckering.

Go slow while you stitch. Pivot with the machine needle down.

Now if you want, layer your quilt with batting and backing and quilt and bind as desired!

Join me next week when we will start the Summer Sampler quilt!

Happy Quilting
Cindy and Josephine

Yardage, Fat Quarter Bundles and Season Sampler Kits can be found on the Quilt Doodle Designs website. The patterns for the quilts are included in the Season Sampler Kits. This kit includes the pattern and all the fabric you need for all four Season Sampler Quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment