Sunday, April 2, 2017

Grandma's Mixing Bowl and a Purple Cow...

First I must apologize for the delay of this month's blocks. If you follow me on Instagram, I'm sure you know that I have the mother of all colds. I haven't been this sick in years. I find it funny because working at a school, I was swimming in a petri dish and was hardly ever sick. Now that I no longer am working at school, I catch the crud from my hubby and I've been hacking the last two weeks. I have been living on cough drops and chicken soup. I visited mom a couple days ago and I instantly felt better when she made me tomato soup and grilled cheese, and she even cut my sandwich in triangles. I felt instantly five again and it was like being wrapped up in my favorite blankie. Thank you mom! Now onto this month's blocks... grandma's mixing bowl and a purple cow! Visiting my grandparent's farm, mom and grandma spent a lot of time in the kitchen whipping all sorts of yummy recipes. There was always a plate of fresh baked cookies on the counter, a pot of coffee brewing and loaves of fresh bread rising for dinner. Grandma's kitchen always smelled so good.

Several years ago we put together a family cookbook, here's grandma's bread recipe from our cookbook. The sweet little toddler in the picture is my mom.


I decided to make a purple cow... why not! My grandparents had dairy cows when my mom was young. Mom talks about milking cows and 4-H. When I was growing up, grandpa no longer raised cows but I had to have a cow on my quilt. Purple cows from what remembered was a grape soda float. But then there was also this fun saying too that I remember ...

I never saw a Purple Cow,
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

Then there's also cow tails, that yummy rope of caramel that I used to buy from the five and dime when I got to go to town with grandma and grandpa. I used to love buying cow tails!

This year's BOM is a very traditional design using 1930's fabrics. These fabrics remind me so much of grandma and her cotton dresses. I hope that you have fun with this pattern. April's pattern has everything you need to complete these two blocks. You will get the directions on how to make the Dresden plate block. Feel free to make all 12 Dresden circles if you would blocks are set on point. The supply list can be found on my website along with this month's directions. April's directions are only FREE this month, then after that they will be found on my Etsy site for a small fee. You can also find the directions in my Craftsy Shop too. So let's get started....

HINT: I have been throwing all of my scraps as I cut 'plates' into this little bin on my cutting table.
Why? It's been very useful for some of my applique pieces. But also, we will use some of these towards the end of the quilt....

Using the blade template cut 1 blade for each fabric.
16 different fabrics total for each block.
You will make 12 blocks all together for this quilt.
Fold the blade in half lengthwise, right sides together and sew a quarter inch seam along the short straight edge (Top edge). This will form the 'point' when you turn it right side out.

Here I have all my blades pressed for one block.

Sew your blades together in pairs, right sides together. Continue to sew blades together along the long side until you form a 16 section plate.

I love the scrappiness of this 'plate'.

I ironed the circle in half, then in half again. And one more time so that I have 'markers' for lining up my circle with my plate section.

I line the seam up with the folded marking and ease my circle and plate section together.
I hold it all together with pins. A lot of pins...
I sew the two together with a 1/4" seam.

The center is the perfect spot for an applique!
HINT: The circle will 'lay down smoother if--- iron the Dresden plate from the back side and iron the circle seam out towards the points.  Then press the front side of the Dresden block.
I don't know what it is, but the block will iron out so much better when done this way.

Tracing all of my shapes onto my heat n bond for iron on applique.

Here my shapes are all cut out and ready to be ironed on the the circle centers.

All ready to machine applique...


I set my machine for a 2.5 length and 2.5 width for my blanket stitch.

Grandma's mixing bowl block

Purple Cow Block

I have not appliqued my Dresden plates onto my 12 1/2" white squares yet.
Patterns can be found on the Quilt Doodle website and on Craftsy (Not until the 1st of the month):
Fat Quarter bundles of 16 fat quarters are available in my Etsy store to get you started.
Tag me on Instagram with your photos #quiltdoodledesignsBOM2017 #quiltdoodledesigns @quiltdoodles
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's bowls and cows.

My favorite picture of grandma and I, taken in front of her flower garden.

          Let’s have some quilty fun!
Cindy
 photo BOM 2017_zpsfwh6tg76.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Love the purple cow! I haven't started these blocks yet, but when I do, I think I will have to make my cow purple, too. Hubby grew up in southeast Missouri and there was a restaurant there called the Cow Shed. They had a purple cow shake that he always talked about. I think it was grape flavored but I'm not sure.

    Sandy A

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun BOM this is! I love the purple cow. The bowl reminds me of the milking crock that my grandma and mom had. I used to get a Tonette home permanent and my mom would pour the final solution on and it would be caught in the milk crock, to be poured over my head again. I can still smell that "awful" permanent smell. Thank you for the wonderful blocks and memories that they are bringing back. I am so enjoying each one of them. Thank you so much. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother had a purple cow creamer in the China cabinet. Cream would pour throuth the cow's mouth. I loved that dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute. thank you.
    what great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous blocks. thank you for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying you are better! So cute, thank you "sew" much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love these. This is going to be the cutest quilt. I haven't started mine yet either but when I do, I'm keeping this one! Thanks Cindy. I love your designs. I hope you feel better soon!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete