Saturday, March 11, 2017

Embroidery...


http://www.quiltdoodledesigns.com/BOM-2017.html

I am still trucking along with my embroidery. I have noticed that my backstitch is starting to look a bit better. I guess practice makes perfect. I am on my way to quilt retreat this weekend. As I write I am wondering what in heaven's name am I going to work on. I have a list of things that I want to do. As you read this, I should be all snuggly warm in front of Colleen's fireplace stitching away listening to the hum of everyone sewing on their projects. I am really looking forward to spending the weekend with my mom and sister. I know I'll be bringing my Mystery BOM that I'm doing in embroidery. I'm happy to report that my stitches are starting to look better. Not quite as nice as my mom's or Colleen's but I'm pleased with my progress.  My mom will be starting the Quilt Doodle BOM this weekend. She's never made a Dresden plate so she's asked for me to help her out. I'm sure she'll buzz along and get all caught up this weekend to where everyone else is at. It's fun to watch my mom follow along with the BOM. I think she enjoys it. My mom is doing embroidery for the designs since she's not a big fan of applique. So here are my embroidered plates for this month... shhhh don't look too close....

http://www.quiltdoodledesigns.com/BOM-2017.html

http://www.quiltdoodledesigns.com/BOM-2017.html

Soft Ginger Cookies ~ Grandma's recipe
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon ginger
 1/2 teaspoon cloves
4 1/2 cups flour
1 cup molasses
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix soda in buttermilk. Then mix all ingredients together. Roll our and bake at 350 for 6 to 8 minutes. Frost with the following recipe...
Frosting: 1 package gelatin, 1/2 cup cold water, mix and set aside. Boil 3/4 cup water and 2 cups sugar, boil until it spins a thread. Add to the gelatin mixture and whip until stiff enough to spread on cookies.

Grandma made several dozen of these for my wedding. They are still one of my favorite cookies. I have been searching high and low for this recipe and then remembered, it's in the old church cookbook. I thought it would be fun to share with you. It's one of those old timey yummy recipes.

Remember this month's blocks can be found HERE. Past blocks can be found in my Etsy shop as an instant PDF download.
Hope you have a wonderful day and find some time to do some stitching.

Happy quilting,
Cindy


3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy, I have done count cross stitch for as long as I can remember. I use DMC floss. But I have never done it on something that would be washed. I now want to make some dish towels that have count cross stitch on the bottom. But I have been reading about how DMC floss runs when washed. I looked at the DMC web site and they just tell how to wash the item after it is done. Is there a way to wash the floss before starting? What have you found works best? Really open to suggestions on all of this. Thank you in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the soda baking Soda? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I get the button for the 2017 BOM on my blog's sidebar? I can't find a link.

    ReplyDelete