Saturday, July 11, 2015

Bolts of Fabric

Happy Saturday! I'm still having fun getting my Civil War Diary Quilt blocks done. I'm actually on a roll, I see the end in sight! I'm about three quarter done! This block, I am in love with, love the colors and really like how the fabrics worked out together that I used. After reading Emma's diary entry again this week, I think how fortunate we are to have such beautiful fabrics to work with on a day to day basis. Remember last week Emma was worried about how to replace their clothing. Well in this diary entry she writes about how her father returned and brought back all sorts of provisions. (flour, corn, bacon and fabric) Yes fabric! 6 bolts of 'factory cloth'. Factory cloth is heavy, unbleached homespun, which they will be using to make clothing. Not ideal because it's heavy.  Remember in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett had Mammy make a gown out of green drapes. Fabric was so expensive and hard to come by - it's no wonder that they got imaginative with their dressmaking. Thinking about this, my curtains in my bedroom could make a nice blouse.

I choose fabrics from my Civil War stash... 
'Bolts of Fabric'
April 1, 1864
Have a wonderful week! Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr.

I will be working on 'Old Abe Lincoln' out of Rosemary's book next. Hope that you have a great weekend!

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!
Check out Rosemary's website.  Her books and Cd's can be ordered there too!

Important note.... my email crashed last weekend. Very sad and upsetting. I lost all of my emails in the inbox.... this includes my pattern testers and if you sent me a any recent email giving me your address so that I can send you a prize you may have won. Please feel free to send me a friendly little 'hello' so that I can restore some of what I lost..... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment