Saturday, May 30, 2015

Churches Spared

 The block I'm showing you today is called 'Churches Spared'. In this passage Emma writes in her diary about how three of the churches in her community were spared. Which is pretty miraculous since everything was burnt around them. She writes about how it's Sunday but there are no church bells ringing. I remember on 9-11 the quiet that evening. I am used to the constant hum of traffic and planes flying over head. I will never forget the eerie silence that evening. I'm guessing that I felt about the same as Emma did when she experience the absence of church bells that  February Sunday morning.
My fabric choices from my fabric stash.
It is so helpful to write the colors on your foundation
paper as you work on the block. Especially since this
block is so detailed.
Churches Spared
February 20, 1864
Have a wonderful week! Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr.

I will be working on 'Sadness and Silence' out of Rosemary's book next. Hope that you have a great weekend! It might be a nice weekend to do some gardening. I'm sure I have a few weeds to pull! They always seem to grow better then my flowers at times.

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!
 
Check out Rosemary's website.  Her books and Cd's can be ordered there too!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your posts about these blocks. I hope to make this quilt one day. It is so interesting to read the comments made by the quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silence of 9-11 is one of my most vivid memories of that awful day as well. Strange how the absence of sounds we usually find annoying can be so troubling. Like that widow who can't sleep without her husband's loud snore beside her. I wonder if Emma was even more troubled by the quiet of the welcome sound of church bells.

    ReplyDelete