Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Dasher Tea Towel



16 days until Christmas, oh my goodness, I have lots to do and not a ton of time to do it in. It's time to start whipping up some, can get it done in an evening projects. Well, I thought I would show you a quick and easy adaptation to one of my mug rug patterns. I love my new  'Dasher' pattern. (It's currently available as a PDF instant download on ETSY and Craftsy.) I thought it would make a cute tea towel too. So here's how I put the applique design onto a brightly colored tea towel.....
I traced the pieces out as you would normally for the mug rug
and then ironed them onto the tea towel, leaving a large space from the bottom, but
placing the deer to the edge of the towel...

I did a blanket stitch all around Dasher, leaving the bottom
edge alone.

I then took a 2 1/2" strip of coordinating fabric that is the width of the towel,
I folded it in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and ironed it,
I then lined it up along the bottom edge of the
deer, raw edge towards the bottom of the towel. I then sewed a 1/4" seam.
Then folded the 'binding' over and ironed it in place. This hides the raw seam on the
bottom edge of the deer and the decorative binding.
I then sewed a blanket stitch on each side of the binding strip.
Here is the finished towel. It was fun using the bright green buttons.
See how the edge of the deer lines up with the edge of the towel?
Any of my Quilt Doodle mug rug patterns could be adapted and used on a tea towel, these designs would also be cute sewn onto a purchased placemat too. 

Happy quilting!

4 comments:

  1. That is a really cute design and I love how you can adapt it to make items that go together.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!! You are incredibly creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love it! I will have to make some Christmas towels for next year as I have already made some things for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it o! Its beautiful!

    But I miss the bom from December. Is it coming or not this month????

    Greeting Guilitta

    ReplyDelete