Sunday, June 22, 2014

Hexie Pincushion

It's nice to have a small project to do while on vacation, or even just sitting outside enjoying the weather. This little hexie pincushion is a fun little project. I first saw it on facebook and fell in love with it. This pattern is  part of the Sew Over The Rainbow quilt along hosted by Victoriana Quilt Designs. You can check it out on her Facebook Page. The FREE pattern can be found HERE.... Benita, Thank you for the great pattern, it's adorable when finished and you can never have too many pincushions. It would also make a cute little gift for one of your quilting buddies. So here is my spin on her awesome pattern....
I printed up the pattern and traced out the hexie just as it printed up. You could make this
cute little project with just about any size hexie.
Using the hexie template I cut out several foundation
papers out of a paper bag. It's a great way to recycle an old
paper bag! 
Cut fabric a 1/4" or so bigger than the hexie shape....
Wrap your fabric around and pin using sequin pins.
(They are tiny)
My hexies are all ready to piece together. I am using three
different fabrics from the 'Gallery in Red' fabric line from Marcus Brothers. 
Sewing using tiny little stitches.... right sides together.
 
Here's the layout to form the pincushion.

Here I am sewing the 'sides' of the pincushion... remember to remove
pins and hexie papers when all sides are 'sewn'.
Continue to sew until you have all the sides sewn up, except for one. Remove
the last of the pins and paper and then turn right side out.
Then use stuffing or leftover batting and stuff. Finish sewing the last seam.
Remember to use tiny little blind stitches.
I think it's adorable with an added button!
I hope you enjoy this cute little project.
Remember this cute little hexie project from last year?
My tutorial for this project can be found
HERE.

Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. None of the tutorial pictures came through. But it looks darling!! I love hexies. Am off to check out your hexie bag tute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have resolved the picture problem :) let's have fun and sew hexes!

      Delete
  2. I love how your pin cushion turned out, it would be great for a first time epp project for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just only made my first hexi flower and now I can turn it into a lovely pincushion. This tutorial is wonderful, especially useful, the picture (#8) with sewing the sides together. Thank you! Love the recycle brown bags another GREAT idea.

    ReplyDelete