Tuesday, December 31, 2013

January's Block of the Month 2014!

Add caption
Happy New Year!!!

It's time to start the first section of the Quilt Doodle Block of the Month 2014! whoooo hoooo... Wilson is also prancing around with excitement!  I'm so thrilled to show you the first section of this fun mystery quilt. 
Many of you know, I live in Minnesota and it's winter here nine months out of the year, last year it felt longer since we had a huge May snowstorm, schools were closed and everything! So the first section we are going to do is a row of 'Chilly Silly Snowmen'.... They are so stinkin cute, and easy to sew together. Everything is based on 2 1/2" squares and strips. The snowman noses are appliqued, but don't worry, if you are a beginner to applique, you can do these. The pattern can be found Etsy and also on Craftsy. So lets get started.... You will need the following fabric colors... blue (I'm using a darker blue fabric), cream/white, and orange (for the snowman noses). You will also need some Heat n Bond and brown or black thread for machine applique. I like to use dark brown.
Many of you have wondered what fabrics.... here's what I pulled
from my fabric stash. Notice most of it is tone on tone.

Following the pattern directions, I cut 2 1/2" squares
and 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" strips.

Layer a cream/white 2 1/2" square and a blue 2 1/2" square
right sides together and sew corner to corner. Repeat until you have
7 sets of 4.

Trim the excess leaving a 1/4" seam...

Iron, seam to the dark side....

Lay out your squares to form the snowman block.

Sew block together using a scant 1/4" seam.

Here is a snowman block next to the 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" strip...
Sew a strip to each section..

Sew the sections together making sure the long snowman
strip begins and ends with a 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" strip.

Trace 7 snowman noses onto the heat n bond and then
iron onto the wrong side of the orange fabric.
Cut the noses out

Your snowman noses can go all the same way...

Or willy nilly ~ every direction... iron them on.

I applique around the nose using my machines button hole stitch
using brown thread.
 Snowman eyes.... hmmmmm...
you can sew on buttons, beads or embroider them using french knots.
It's up to you and what you prefer to do.

I think I'm going to use buttons...


Chilly Silly Snowmen ~ January's Block

Remember to post your finished Chilly Silly Snowmen strips onto the Flickr account for a chance to win the prize at the end of the month! If you blog about it, please email me a link so that I can attach it to the Pinterest Board I have going for the BOM 2014. I hope you have fun with this section of the mystery quilt. It can easily be done in a weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's snowmen! I'll be announcing the prize for this month's block around the 15th and the winner will be announced on February 1st, when the next section is out.

Happy Quilting,

40 comments:

  1. There is no logic in any world which should allow me to begin another BOM. But this is sew cute. And it it is still 2013 so New Years resolutions do not start until tomorrow .. right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a cutie pie. What a wonderful start. Thanks for showing your fabric choices it gives me some direction going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like fun, how do I join please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute, I am going to have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this cute snowman. Thanks for the instructions.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this today! I was going to be away from my computer for the rest of the week and was worried about getting behind. These are so cute! I can't wait to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, whimsical start for the BOM. I have downloaded and hopefully I can pull fabrics and get started soon. I have your BOM listed on my pinterest board of 2014 QALs and BOMs. Have fun with it! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This will be my very first BOM, so I'm excited to be joining! The snowmen are really cute. I'll won't be starting until tomorrow! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!!!! I poufed out on your bom last year!!!! Can I join in this one!!!! It will be perfect timing for next Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited that you released this today!!! I couldn't help myself but to work on the adorable snowmen today. Blogged at:
    http://www.new2quilting.blogspot.com/2013/12/2014-bom-quilt-doodle-designs-january.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! A row quilt was a great idea! I'm still finishing last years BOM, which was awesome by the way, and looking forward to this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute!!!! I'm very glad you're linking your project up at BOMs Away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute!! I just might have to work this in! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do I join? I have never done BOM

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these cute snowmen and I can relate the nine months of brrr winter! I used to live in Alaska! Since I still have my Christmas/winter fabric out, I think I might give this a go. It would be my first BOM. Maybe it will wake me up from my after Christmas coma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have fun with the BOM!

      Delete
    2. Cindy
      I have finished the January BOM Chilly Silly Snowmen. I have posted the results to my blog DebbieEmeryQuits.blogspot.ca

      Delete
  16. So cute! Can you tell me the maker/name of the blue snowflake fabric? LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am definitely in! Love these guys! Can't wait to start :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ciao sono una tua nuova follower, bellissima la stoffa con i fiocchi di neve, un'abbraccio Fiorella

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you have any idea of yardages we need? I was going to order some fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am also interesting in knowing the designer name of the dark blue
    snow flake fabric. This is so cute!!!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too am interested in knowing the designer's name of the dark blue snow flake fabric please. This is so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ok.... these snowmen are soooo cute! So cute, in fact, that I've decided to stich along. And stitch along is something that I promised myself I would not do this year! This year, for me, was time to finish all of my other previous starts!!! :) Anyway, count me in! Looks like it's going to be a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm joining the fun !!! I have a dismantled sewing room for complete renovation,
    but the dinning room table is big and empty :).
    I just found you through Paulette over at Sweet Pea quilts, and I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cindy! Love month one - looking forward to month two! I shared your blog on mine, serendipity woods.com/blog, and will be sharing my progress there (and here). Thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Also, can you help me understand how to share a pic of my block with you? It doesn't look like I can post it here within the comment section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I have set up a flickr account for the BOM for everyone to post their pictures of their finished blocks. It can be found here;
      http://www.flickr.com/groups/2443531@N20/

      Delete
  26. Oh, this is just sew adorable! I love the row of snowmen!!! Sew glad I've found your lovely blog via The Crafty Quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Before I start...I have a question. I do not want to get all the way tomDecember and not be able to finish. Will December be a definite Christmas row?

    ReplyDelete
  28. BTW I live your sewing buddy. I have a lab mix(my late parents' rescue), my husband's impossible Weimaraner and my perfect red standard(small) poodle!

    I love these snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Is it possible to snow ball a square and then go from that point? this looks like a fun project I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Finished my row. Will post a picture today. Cute little snowmen for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello everybody from sunny Italy!
    I've just joined the BOM, waiting for the confirmation mail. It's my first one! It sounds so exciting!
    I just need to ask an explanation, probably a bit silly for you, but as a stranger beginner very important:
    when you write 'scant 1/4" seam THROUGHOUT', do you mean 'included'? i.e., in the 2 1/2" , is exactly the measure of the stripe to cut or do I have to add extra 1/4" for seams? Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish there was a PDF for the BOM, that we could print out. It's to hard to leave the page up and follow the pattern and how to. I love your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the FREE pattern, click on my links found in my posting (Free here & Craftsy) The pattern can be found free at both of those sites. If you are unable to download the pattern feel free to request the pattern by emailing me at cindy at quiltdoodledesigns dot com

      Happy quilting,
      Cindy

      Delete
  33. I am starting this project today. Going to challenge myself to just use my stash...now to find the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello!

    And many greetings from Finland . I love this quilt project so I am going to do this and my quilting group too. I have done the first block and I am going to wait the new block...

    Lots of love Katri Kemppanen

    ReplyDelete
  35. I finished my block last night, uploaded the pic to flikr and blogged about it this morning! http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2014/01/first-snowman-blockrow.html

    ReplyDelete