Saturday, October 26, 2013

November 28, 1863

 On Novemeber 28, 1863, Cora writes in her diary;

'....Hurrah, Hurrah, Huarrah! I feel like I want to be somewhere that I can scream as loud as I can. I think I will get into the cellar and then no Yankee can hear me. Yes, Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah, for John Morgan and six of his men have escaped from prison.' 

Confederate General John Morgan and several of his men broke out of prison on November 27, 1963 in Ohio. The fled to the south. Morgan along with his men dug a hole into the ventilation space and tunneled their way out to the inner yard of the Ohio State Penitentiary. They then scaled the wall. Morgan caught a train heading to Cincinnati, and then hired a boat to take him across the river. John Morgan and his men made it back to Tennessee where they were safe in Confederate territory.

My block is pieced in strips, using foundation paper. This block could easily be rotary cut and
pieced too. I was so busy sewing that I forgot to take pictures while working on this block.
But I'm sure you can get the idea of how it's put together just by following Rosemary's diagram in her book.

'John Morgan'
November 28, 1863


Have a wonderful week! Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr.

Next Saturday I will be working on the block called 'Lincolnites Whipped' ' out of Rosemary's book. Hope that you have a great weekend! I'm off to buy some Halloween candy and do a little decorating for the season outside to surprise the little goblins.

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!
Check out Rosemary's website.  Her books and Cd's can be ordered there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment