Saturday, August 17, 2013

Misfortune, April 15, 1863

It's Civil War Saturday! For today's block I worked on 'Misfortune' out of Rosemary's book. Cora writes about how Mr. Moss' home was burned down. She felt that it was burned down because he was a Negro trader. Cora writes "...Pa says that his farm is one of the finest in Kentucky. It was thought to have been burned by a Negro or some of the Yankees for it was said that they had some spite at Captain Moss. I believe that this misfortune has befallen him because he was a Negro trader..."  

Here is how I completed the block...

My fabric choices are similar to Rosemary's, I used a light and a dark
fabric so that I had a nice contrast. In this phot you can also see the
foundation paper that I printed up from the companion CD.

I have the four strips completed here, ready to be pieced together.
As you can see, my block 'spins' the opposite way from Rosemary's.

"Misfortune'
April 15, 1863

Have a wonderful week! Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr.

Next Saturday I will be working on the block called 'Visit To Town' out of Rosemary's book. I'm busy getting ready for quilt camp at Cozy Home Quilt Retreat! I've been packing up kits, patterns and supplies for the campers along with my notes for the tutorials I'll be teaching. It's going to be so much fun! The campers will be working on a 'Mystery' quilt that I designed for them. There'll be some free sewing time so I packed my Civil War Diary Quilt and Red and White quilt to work on. I'm hoping to come back with all sorts of fun things to share with you!

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!
Check out Rosemary's website.  Her books and Cd's can be ordered there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment