Saturday, September 8, 2012

Apple Pie Goodness

This year I had an abundance of apples!  I've had this tree for almost twelve years and this is the first time I have been able to pick buckets of apples.  Either they blow off in the wind, or the squirrels and deer get them. I'm amazed to have apples. They are organic, haven't been sprayed, not pretty apples.  But when peeled and sliced they make wonderful pie filling or applesauce.  Today I pulled out my tried and true 'Apple Pie Filling' recipe that I can in quart jars.  My sweet husband helped me peel a ka-zillion apples....


Apple Pie Filling
From Canning and Preserving by Linda Ferrari
(for 7 quarts)

6 quarts sliced fresh apples
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Clear Jel A
1 tbsp Cinnamon
2 1/2 cups water
5 cups apple juice
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp Nutmeg
7 drops yellow food color (optional)

Use firm, crisp apples.... not sure if mine are, think they are.... don't even remember what kind of tree I planted so many years ago.  Wash, peel, and core  apples. Prepare slices 1/2 inch wide and place in water containing ascorbic acid to prevent browning. Blanch 2 quarts at a time for 1 minute in boiling water. While blanching other batches of apples,keep those already blanched in a covered pot so they will stay warm. Combine sugar, Clear Jel A, (I buy Clear Jel A online) and cinnamon in a large kettle with water and apple juice. If desired, food coloring and nutmeg may be added. Stir and cook on medium-high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Drain apple slices. Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Fold apple slices immediately and fill quart jars with mixture. Process in a boiling water bath for 25 minutes.  Cool and label jars... enjoy!
Apples folded in all ready to be jarred up.

Yum!! Apple Pie Filling for this winter!
Sweetie just brought in another big bucket of apples, it's off to do another batch!  I love to use apple pie filling not only for pies but also for the filling for turnovers!  Yum!!!

One of these days I will get back to Civil War Diary Quilt Saturdays, but for right now, I'm preserving summers goodness for this winter...

3 comments:

  1. Looks sooooo delicious, and I can almost smell it!
    How did you make or where did you find the cute lid labels? Blessings, terrynixonmail@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,your recipe sounds delish! Thanks for stopping by to comment on my dotty elephant post. I just found your comment in my spam folder today :( You are showing up as a no reply blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the recipe. Do you per chance have a recipe for Pear Honey? I have a ton of pears that I need to do something besides just can for eating. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete