Saturday, January 14, 2012

Yankee Papers & Glorious News

Happy Civil War Saturday, I just finished the next two blocks in the CWDQ book.  'Yankee Papers' was a super quick and easy block to put together, Glorious News took a bit of time.  I started 'Glorious News' late last night and sewed until late, until I couldn't see straight.  Decided I better stop and finish the block in the morning.  'Glorious News' has 65 pieces  compared to 'Yankee Papers' 8.  Quite a contrast.... contrast in skill levels too I have to say.  Although paper piecing does make 'Glorious News' a do-able block.  I'm happy with the results.  So here's how I did the next two blocks.  For those of you following along, you can join in and start this wonderful quilt at anytime. Make it as big or as small as you'd like!

Here are the fabrics I choose for Yankee Papers, no surprise with the colors.

I cut 1  3 3/4" blocks from each of the fabrics...

I matched up the green with the cream, and the black with the red print right sides together.  Then I drew a line from corner to corner.

The I sewed a scant 1/4" seam on each side of the line....

Cut the sections apart, iron.

Here are the sections all ready to form the block!

"Yankee Papers"
March 27, 1864

Here are the color selections I used for 'Glorious News'.

This block is made up of 65 sections.  The paper foundation paper breaks it down into 5 manageable strips...

Paper piecing... see how my fabric is much bigger than the section, it will all get trimmed up.

Notice how I sew past all the 'seam allowances' again, it will all be trimmed up to the right size when I am done piecing the section.

"Glorious News"
March 28, 1864
Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1547598@N25/

Next weekend I will be working on 'Smuggling Letters'.  I'm hoping to get 'Parlor Activities' done too.   Hope that you are able to join me next week as I continue on my Civil War Diary Quilt. Have a wonderful weekend, hope that you are able to find some time to quilt!

Happy quilting and perfect stitches to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment