Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bitter Enemy November 7,1863

Where have I been you may have been wondering.... I have been working at the greenhouse.  When it's not raining, I have been trying to plant my flower gardens.  I have been taking care of two flats of flowers waiting for the sun to shine for the last three weeks.  It finally was a beautiful day on Friday, and I worked at the greenhouse. huummmfff... I have been getting up early and walking Wilson.  It's a new health kick I am on.... yes, I even walk in the rain.  I'm thinking I'm crazy.... Wilson gets to stay home when it rains because I don't want to deal with dirty, wet, doggie.  I don't want to add 'Wilson bath' to my to-do list.  I also helped celebrate my parents 50th anniversary.  What a wonderful celebration!  Then there is the normal everyday stuff we all need to do, laundry, shopping, cleaning....  well, needless to say the thing I like to do the most has been neglected, sewing.  By ten-ish each evening, I am found snoozing in my comfy chair.  Where does the time go?  My Civil War Diary quilt has been quietly and patiently waiting for me to return.  So this morning I worked on the next block, so let's get started!  The block is called 'Bitter Enemy', it's the 5th block to row 3.

This block is pretty straight forward as to it's construction.  You can print up foundation paper for paper piecing or you can rotary cut it.  I chose to rotary cut squares and then 'sew & cut' into triangle sections.  My fabrics that I pulled from my Civil War stash is very similar to what is presented in Rosemary's book.

From black fabric cut 4 - 2" squares
cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares
cut 1 - 4" square

From white/cream fabric cut 2 - 2 1/2" squares

From blue fabric cut 1 - 4" square

Layer 4" blue and 4" black square together right sides together, draw a line corner to corner. 
Layer 2 1/2" white and 2 1'2" black squares together right sides together, draw a line corner to corner. (You will have two sets of white & black squares)

Sew a scant 1/4" seam on each side of the line....

Cut the sections apart....

You will have 2 black & blue triangle squares and 4 white & black triangle squares.  Iron, light to dark.


Square up black & white triangle squares to measure 2".
Square up  black & blue triangle square to measure 3 1/2"

Here my sections are ready to be sewn together.

I sewed the corner squares and triangles together first, then I sewed them to the blue & black triangle squares.


"Bitter Enemy" November 7, 1863
Next week I will be working on 'Lincoln's Telegraph' it is the final block from the diary from Nancy Elly Moore.  I am looking forward to using the 'Lincoln' fabric I received from Rosemary Youngs....if you have any questions or comments on the block, feel free to email me at Cindy
Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr
Happy quilting!




The Civil War Diary Quilt Book can be bought through paypal or through the mail from Rosemary Youngs...

The Civil War Diary Quilt book is available for $22.99 plus $4.95 priority mail, (global priority mail $11.95) . You can order the CD with the book, you will need Electric Quilt 5 or 6 to run the CD, the CD alone is $10 and there is no extra charge for postage when you order the book with the CD, total cost for the CD with the book will be $32.99 plus your postage.

Send a check or money order to Rosemary Youngs, 3704 Nicole Ct., Walker, MI 49534

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! And pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice to have a simple, less time consuming block every once in a while. I loved doing this one for that very reason - no paper piecing, nothing tedious.

    Donna K. from N. TX aka Quilting Bear Gal

    ReplyDelete