Saturday, January 8, 2011

Civil War Saturday!

It's Civil War Saturday!  I have been working on Alarming Conditions on page 12-13 and Conscript Law on page16-17 from the book The Civil War Diary Quilt book by Rosemary Youngs.  I used a different technique for both squares.  I paper pieced 'Alarming Conditions' and did a 'cut and sew' for Conscript Law....

Let's start with Alarming Conditions.... I followed the colors as what is shown in the book.  A dark brown, pink and cream. 



First, trace the lines of the pattern right out of the book, make several copies (I make extras in case I make a 'boo-boo')


Break the square down as shown into sections and draw 1/4 seam allowance around each section.  (1st row, 3rd row (two sections) and  5th row)   You are creating the paper piecing blocks to complete this square.

One a second copy of the pattern draw a 1/4" seam allowance around the 2nd and 4th row of the pattern. 

Cut your pattern piecing sections out as shown, do not cut on the edge of the 1/4" seam, your sections will be trimmed up later when each section is done.  Cut a 1 3/4" pink square (or color of your choice) for the center.  It may be helpful to write the colors or number your colors and write this in each section of your paper piecing sections.  I spent a lot of time referring to the book and checking and double checking as I worked on each section.

Since it had been awhile since I did paper piecing, I needed a refresher coarse and
I found this website helpful...

sewing along.... remember to sew on the drawn line....
finger pressing as I go....
Notice my seam lines and that I sew past the margins of the block...
When you are done paper piecing each section trim the block... remember to leave the 1/4" seam!


Sewing the rows together...
The finished block, it measures 6 1/2" including seam allowance.

The next block that I worked on is called 'Conscript Law'.  I constructed this block using a cut and sew method to form the triangle units... I again followed the color choice laid out in the book. 

Let's get started...
Cut 6 green 2 1/2" squares
Cut 6 Pink 2 1/2" squares
Stack 1 pink and 1 green, right sides together in pairs.

Draw a line in pencil from corner to corner...

Sew a scant 1/4" seam on each side of the line...
Cut apart and iron

Square and trim up to be a 2" square... you should have 12 of these blocks.
Now lets make the 4 center squares... you will need to cut;
4    2 1/4" green squares
2   2 1/2" pink squares
2   2 1/2" white squares

Make 2 pairs of a pink and white square with right sides together.  Draw a line from corner to corner in pencil.

Sew a 'scant' 1/4" seam on each side of the line on all 2 pairs.

Cut apart & iron.

Pair together one pink & white triangle square with a green square, right sides together.  Draw a pencil line from corner to corner as shown in the picture.

Sew a 'scant' 1/4" seam on each side of the drawn line.

Cut these sections apart and iron.

You will only need 4 of these sections to make the white pinwheel in the center.  Only 4 of them will work... you will have 4extra blocks.  I'm going to make a little pin cushion out of mine.

Lay the blocks out following the placement either pictured here or in the book.  Sew together.
Whoo Hooo another block finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment