Sunday, January 16, 2011

Civil War Saturday! September 9, 1862

Well, it's been a very busy weekend and I apologize for the late Civil War Saturday post... I was re-elected to take a group of boys to Afton Alps for a day of skiing/snowboarding with the Boy Scout Troop.  Well, can't take my sewing machine with so I settled with bringing my Civil War Diary Book and drafting supplies, aka pencil and ruler.  Several hours of freezing my tootsies off in the chalet and tons of coffee and Mountain Dew later, I got the next 10 blocks drafted and ready to go.  So it was a productive day, just not working on the block I was planning to blog about.  AND since I wasn't going to give up on the block, I worked on it Friday night until 1:00 am and just finished it now, Sunday evening.  I pondered about doing this block and came to the conclusion that even though it looks extremely difficult, that if paper pieced, it wouldn't be so bad.  (There's 65 pieces to this little block)  So here is how I completed the block 'Anxieties' from the Civil War Diary Book...



Trace the block in three sections as shown, I numbered each section in the order  that I will complete the design and also write the fabric color in each 'block'. Refer to the book for color placement.  I made a copy of my paper piecing pattern in case I made a mistake, as least it wasn't on the original that I traced.  Don't forget to trace your 1/4" seam allowance around your paper piecing blocks.


My three paper piecing sections for this block, all ready to start!
 

If you need a refresher coarse on paper piecing,
I found this website helpful...
Remember to finger press as you sew each section...
 
Remember to sew on the drawn lines and to sew past the edges of the section you are working on.  Whoopsies I held the block I was working on up-side down for the picture! The picture also shows how I number the segments to show the order for paper piecing the block.
Two sections done and one more to go!  When you are done paper piecing each section, trim the block... remember to leave the 1/4" seam allowance! 
All done!
 Next Saturday I will work on 'Rachel's Frustrations'  and 'Special Blessings'  from the book....if you have any questions or comments on the block, feel free to email me at cindy

Remember to post your progress on the Civil War Diary Quilt Group on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1547598@N25/

Happy quilting!





1 comment:

  1. I ran across your blog today, what a beautiful blog and your pictures and instructions are amazing. I cannot wait to see more of your work. Thank you, I am very honored.

    ReplyDelete